Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Crazy on the Hilltop

Today was a crazy day on the hilltop. I started it off by getting my blood sucked out of my arm by a maniacal syringe wielding nurse, to determine if I have Rheumatoid Arthritis instead of or in addition to Fibromyalgia. I’m not sure which is worse actually, but at least RA has some sort of treatment. We’ll see. I’d just like to be able to make a trip to Walmart without feeling like I just climbed Mt. Everest.

After I got back from that trip I got a call from Sir D saying his building got broken into. He spent most of the morning filing police reports, cleaning up the mess, ordering new computers and borrowing some from a neighboring city’s branch, calling a repairman to fix the back door and the dock door today (great expense!) calling the ins co, and doing things that do not make the branch and consequently our family, any money. Needless to say, he was discouraged. And I am sure he did not actually do all those things, surely he delegated some of them, right?

I spent the afternoon at Walmart taking back things of subpar quality (jeans worn once and the button broke! URG!) and standing in long lines. I also bought a vacuum. Does anyone like to buy a vacuum? They’re so stinkin’ expensive and they’re plastic crap! And you have to use it to do a job that you don’t really like anyway.

We’re taking new tack where the vacuum is concerned. We’ve always bought midrange vacuums and they have worked for a year, then we limped them along for the next three or four, having to do some minor repair almost every time we wanted to use it. (and when I say we had to repair it, I think you all know I mean Sir D, Will, or Bob). So this time I bought the cheapest (still $75!) vacuum they had there. Sir D said we just ought to plan on replacing it every 2 years. I guess the alternative is to buy the $500 SuperVac. But really, who has $5oo to spend on a vacuum?



On the upside, I put dinner in the crock pot before I left so I don’t have to cook and my daughter is vacuuming because she wants to.



Who says I can’t look at the bright side?





2 comments:

Happy Mommy said...

Girl if you ever move or have a house built you need a central house vac! They are about 1500$ for a 2400sq ft house but they work and our house is 14 years old the vac has never had any trouble in the 4 years we have lived here
I use it about every other day and it is great on the hard wood the carpet and the tile floors.

Tonya said...

I cannot tell you how much we spent on our last vacuum. Let's just say it's over your $500 range. I LOVE it. Dawn LOVES it (she borrows it frequently). I cannot tell you how nice it is to have a vacuum that actually works! Now, our last vacuum lasted 15+ years, so we don't purchase them frequently. (Eric owned the other one before I met him.) Maybe the key to having them last a long time is to just not use them much! :-)