Monday, December 8, 2008

Christmas FUN!

Today on the Hilltop we’re having a little Christmas FUN.

I was determined this year to not try to do it all. I want my kids Christmas memories to not be one of a crazed mom, scurrying around trying to MAKE IT A MERRY CHRISTMAS FOR GOODNESS SAKE! So this year all but the academic essentials have been put on the back burner for the month of Dec.

Today my three younger kids did their math lessons, copied the Advent verses (3 or 4 sentences) in their Journal, read 2 chapters in their various books, and did their chores. Then each of us (even Will, who was home from his college classes by then) took turns reading aloud from The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. This is a yearly tradition in our house. It is a little bittersweet that I started reading this to two wiggly boys, an energetic toddler and a nursing infant, and now we each take turns reading aloud and no one needs my help sounding out the words. *sigh* another example of life marching on.

Then we started our Christmas craft.

I don’t remember where I got this idea, but we’re making gumdrop Christmas trees!



Originally we were going to make a wreath, but when I saw the little Styrofoam cones in the store I thought this might be a little easier.



This is all you need. Styrofoam cones (or wreath) toothpicks cut in half, a wire cutter because regular scissors don’t cut toothpicks in half well, trust me on this one, and some gumdrops. Lots and lots of gumdrops.

Take half of the toothpick and stick the blunt end into the gumdrop, stick the other end in the Styrofoam tree, lather, rinse, repeat, till the whole thing is done.

We’re going to add a cutsie little gift tag and give them as teacher gifts.



So there you have it.

Christmas FUN on the Hilltop.

Don't forget to check back later for the rest of the Christmas Photos from Casa Del Loco.


3 comments:

Halfmoon Girl said...

cute idea- I would eat the gumdrops faster than I could stick them onto the tree though!
I love family read a louds- sounds like a nice day.

rainydaymichele said...

Looks like fun, Tricia. :)

Tonya said...

Hey, I just noticed you updated your profile picture. I like it! It's a really good picture of you. Good job, Trish! :-)